- Sleeps 7
- Smoke free property
- Bedrooms 3
- Short Breaks Yes
- Pets allowed Yes (£25 each per week)
- Changeover day Friday
- Property Code SMUEND
- Beach close by
- Garden or outside space
- Rural location
- Village location
- Pub close by
- Shop close by
- Golf course close by
- Designated Parking
- Two bathrooms
- Night storage heater
- Washing machine
- Tumble dryer
Smuggler’s End is an exquisite example of a thatched Devon holiday cottage near the sea and aptly named after what was probably once a smugglers’ retreat. It is full of character with illuminated inglenooks, beams and exposed stone walls combining delightful charm and a peaceful atmosphere with a spacious, comfortable and homely interior. Situated in Galmpton, just a short distance from Hope Cove, there are beautiful views from the garden’s terraced lawns out across the cliffs, sea and to the horizon beyond. The old fishing village of Hope Cove has a bit of everything for a good family holiday; two sandy beaches, large inn, restaurants, cream teas, excellent sweet and souvenir shop and is right on the South West Coastal path, which meanders around the cliff tops in both directions to other beaches and villages.
Porch over entrance through glazed front door into large beamed living/dining room with woodburner in a huge stone, open fireplace that has a large cavity to one side which could well have been where ‘booty’ was stored. This room is comfortably furnished with sofas and wing backed chairs, window seats, an unusual long coffee table and oak dining table with seating for 8. Flat screen TV/DVD/video. To one end of the room is a door through to the light and spacious recently refurbished kitchen accommodated in an extension to the rear of the cottage with ceramic hob and electric oven, fridge/freezer and microwave. A back door from the kitchen leads out to a small utility room with a washing machine and tumble dryer and steps up to the garden. To the other end of the living room are stairs to a split landing that goes one way to the main staircase and the other to a downstairs shower room with shower, basin, WC and back door to the garden. Upstairs: Double bedroom with 4ft 6in bed, built in wardrobe and low, recessed cottage window. Bedroom 2 has two 3ft beds and a 2ft 6in bed. The third bedroom has twin 3ft beds and beautiful views across the garden. Bathroom with enamelled bath, hand basin and WC.
Cosy front garden, a real sun trap with stone paving, a pretty flower and shrub border, table and chairs and screened by a high hedge from the road. Large stepped gardens to the back and one end of the cottage with lawns, trees, shrubs and flowerbeds and far reaching views across countryside and the sea. Picnic table, 8 chairs and barbecue provided.
Parking: Ample opposite in the Hope & Galmpton Village Hall car park, £15 per week payable at the farm opposite the cottage.
- Included: Bed linen (not towels), WiFi, cot, high chair, electricity and heating (night storage and portable electrical heaters).
- Pets: Maximum of two dogs permitted.
- Telephone: Incoming and local calls only. Phone box in Galmpton.
- Local Facilities: Beaches, pub, shop and restaurants at Hope Cove, just over half a mile. Salcombe 4 miles, Kingsbridge 5 miles.
- Please Note: Adult supervision is required for very young children in the garden.
Also note: The cottage lies opposite a working potato farm and during harvest time (July-September) there may be early morning vehicle movements.
- Hope Cove is a natural harbour, and as such provides one of the best beaches in all of the South West.
- Inner and Outer Hope benefit from a great location 2 miles outside of Salcombe, with Kingsbridge also within a 20 minute drive.
- Just inland from the beach you'll find the village shop and local pub, where you can get your groceries, stop for a bite to drink or have a refreshing drink while looking out across the cove.
- Woodlands adventure park is situated just outside of Dartmouth, with water slides, indoor and outdoor play areas its fun for all the family.
- Salcombe is internationally renowned for its stunning harbour. It also provides a great collection of independent shops and restaurants.
- The South Devon Railway is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Devon, where steam engines travel through seven miles of picturesque countryside.
Plymouth Hoe offers magnificent views over Plymouth Sound. With the lighthouse, lido and war memorial, the Hoe is perfect for a stroll along the seafront, grabbing a bite and watching the sunset.
The outstanding natural beauty of Dartmoor covers much of Devon and is perfect for walkers of all ages.
Paignton Zoo is an excellent day out for the young and old alike. Situated in South Devon, the abundance of wildlife is not to be missed.
Property reviews for Smuggler's End
Delightful cottage, great garden for dogs, beautiful surroundings. Everything you could possibly need or want.
Thank you for submitting a review!
The review has been sent to our property department for moderation and should show up shortly.