With the half term holidays nearly upon us, we thought you might appreciate a helpful guide to popular outdoor activities in the South West.
If the sun’s shining, a day out on one of the region’s beautiful beaches is top on every family’s ‘to do’ list. With some of the finest beaches in Europe, the South West remains one of the most popular destinations for beach holidays. Take a look at some of our family-sized holiday cottages, perfect for breaks by the beach.
Our Top Five Beach Activities, fun for all the family…
5. Paddling; introduce your tots to the sea with a gentle paddle on the incoming tide.
4. Playing in the surf; there’s nothing more exhilarating than mucking about in the surf. Surfboards can provide hours of fun, but remember to respect the sea and stay safe.
3. Rock pooling; equip the kids with a net and bucket and explore this fascinating underwater world and meet its weird and wonderful inhabitants.
2. Beach Cricket; enjoy the thrills and spills of cricket on the beach, the golden sand perfect for those diving catches.
1. Sandcastle Building; all you need is a bucket and spade and away you go. Build a sand fortress and see if it’s strong enough to see off the incoming tide.
Our Top Five South West Outdoor Activities, action-packed family outings…
5. Take a day trip to Paignton Zoo and Botanical Garden. Meet the vast array of animals; from lions to lemurs, and monkeys to millipedes, there’s so much to learn from a day out at one of the largest Zoos in Europe.
4. Discover the history, myths, and breathtaking scenery of Tintagel Castle. Set on the rugged North Cornish cliffs, this dramatic location is also linked to the legend of King Arthur.
3. Walk amongst the ancient tors and wooded valleys of Dartmoor National Park, famous for its roaming spaces, spectacular views, and abundant wildlife. Pack a picnic and explore the tracks and trails of this vast reserve.
2. Visit the incredible Eden Project, Cornwall’s premier attraction, with its amazing biomes and dazzling outdoor gardens. Simply a must!
1. The South West Coast Path is the longest waymarked footpath in England and runs along the West Country coast for more the 600 miles. There is no better way to take in this magnificent stretch of coastline than by setting out for a good old ‘yomp’ along this much-loved trail, treating yourself to a pub lunch along the way!
It’s not too late to book one of our fantastic holiday cottages for your half term family break, we’ve got hundreds of gorgeous West Country properties on our listings, all of them surrounded by beautiful beaches and countryside.
Discover your perfect getaway when you book a stay at a Toad Hall Cottage.