Let us continue with our food and drink odyssey with another shared recipe from the organic and vegan connoisseurs, Tideford Organics of Totnes, who for their latest offering are serving up their take on a classic savoury dish that originates from the Levant. Enjoy!
‘With a tasty new range of soups, sauces, pestos and miso pastes, Tideford Organics have crafted an unrivalled set of products bursting with nutrients and flavour. The range is organic, vegan and gluten-free, with no added sugar.’ Tideford Organics
Vegan Moussaka with Tideford Organics Vegan Ragu Bolognese
Serves 2 – 3, Preparation time: 20 minutes, Cooking time: 30 minutes
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 aubergine, ½ cm slices
1 large potato ½ cm slices
2 x 300g pots Tideford Ragu Bolognese
275ml soya milk
30g vegetable margarine
Salt and pepper
30g wholemeal breadcrumbs
Oregano to garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 160 ֯C/350 ֯F/gas mark 4
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and fry slices of aubergine on both sides. Set aside. Repeat with the potato slices. *
- Lightly grease a shallow oven-proof dish. Arrange half the aubergine slices across its base & top with one pot of the ragu. Arrange the potato slices on top and add the second pot of ragu. Finish with the remaining aubergine.
- In a small cup add a little of the soya milk to the cornflour and mix into a thin paste. Add to the remaining soya milk in a saucepan and whisk continuously over a gentle heat until thick and smooth. Stir in the vegetable margarine* and season with salt & pepper
- Pour over the aubergine and sprinkle with breadcrumbs & oregano*
- Bake for 30 minutes.
* Use a griddle pan for attractive griddle lines on the aubergine.
* Use 50g of cauliflower puree in place of margarine for extra goodness.
* For a gluten free version use gluten free breadcrumbs or finely chopped walnuts.